Friday, September 16, 2022

Using a Card Sketch to Make a Halloween Card

The Scary Cute stamp set (#159850) is my go to Halloween stamp set this season. The silhouettes of the trick-or-treaters are too adorable and fun! I made this card to send to my niece for Halloween using the fairy princess silhouette stamp.


Scary Cute stamp set Halloween fairy princess card Halloween card


The layout comes from a card sketch by Teresa Kline. I was drawn to the three horizontal stripes and the ribbon at the top of her sketch.

I often use card sketches for inspiration, whether they are my own card sketches or another's. Card sketches provide a starting point for my creativity. I look at the scale of the elements on the card sketch to get an idea of which stamps and papers would fit.

There were no measurements included with Teresa's card sketch, so I used my grid paper to draw an approximation. Then I cut my paper and adjusted the measurements as I created.

I chose mostly neutral colors with the Basic Black, the Basic Gray, and the Basic White. I added a burst of Highland Heather to contrast with the neutral colors.

I chose the star patterned paper because it echoed the star on the fairy princess' wand and because the size of the stars well fit in a 3/4" strip of DSP. The stars did not lose their definition when cut to such a narrow piece of DSP. I kept the three strips of DSP the same to avoid the card becoming overly busy with too many patterns.

Scary Cute stamp set Halloween fairy princess card Halloween card


On the inside I stamped the moon and some bats at the top and the row of trick-or-treaters at the bottom to create a nighttime Halloween scene.

You can customize this card too. The silhouette stamps are mostly the same size, so the stamps with one trick-or-treater should fit in this circle die cut. You can also adjust the size of the circle die cuts. You can change the color palette to your recipient's favorite colors or to suit the occasion.

Below are the measurements and the supply list that I used to make this Scary Cute Halloween card. You can find stamping supplies in my online store HERE.

Measurements

  • Card Base: 8-1/2" x 5-1/2"; score at 4-1/4" (Basic Gray Cardstock)
  • 1st Mat: 4" x 5-1/4" (Basic Black Cardstock)
  • 2nd Mat: 3-1/2" x 4-3/4" (Highland Heather Cardstock)
  • Stripes (cut 3): 3/4" x 3-1/2" (Black and White Designer Series Paper)
  • Scalloped Circle: 2-3/4" x 2-3/4" (Basic Black Cardstock) - use the 2-1/2" scalloped circle die
  • Circle: 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" (Basic White Cardstock) - use the 2-1/8" circle die
  • Greeting Mat: 2-1/2" x 1" (Basic Black Cardstock)
  • Greeting: 2" x 3-3/4" (Basic White Cardstock)
  • Inside Mat: 4" x 5-1/4" (Basic White Cardstock)



Supply List

Supplies Specific to this Card

  • #159850 Scary Cute Stamp Set
  • #159852 Scary Cute Bundle (The Scary Cute Stamp Set is can also be purchased as part of a bundle with the Scary Silhouette Dies)
  • #121044 Basic Gray Cardstock
  • #146986 Highland Heather Cardstock
  • #121045 Basic Black Cardstock
  • #159276 Basic White Cardstock
  • #159861 Black and White Designer Series Paper (DSP)
  • #132708 Memento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad
  • #156408 White 3/8" Glittered Organdy Ribbon
  • #144220 Rhinestone Basic Jewels
  • #104430 Dimensionals
  • #141705 Layering Circles Dies

 Basic Tools

  • #110755 Multipurpose Liquid Glue
  • #102300 Bone Folder
  • #103579 Paper Snips
  • #130148 Grid Paper
  • #152392 Paper Trimmer
  • #149653 Stampin' Cut & Emboss Machine
  • #126200 Stampin' Scrub
  • #153648 Stampin' Mist Cleaner
  • #118487 Clear Block A
  • #117147 Clear Block B
  • #118486 Clear Block C
  • #118490 Clear Block H



I liked working with this card sketch and would try it again. I think it would be fun to make a Christmas or birthday card with this card sketch too! How would you customize this card sketch?

I hope you enjoyed today's Halloween card. If you need supplies to make this adorable fairy princess Halloween card, please, shop my online store HERE.

If you have any questions about today's project, please, don't hesitate to ask me.

Thanks for stopping by!
Beth

No comments:

Post a Comment